Gas Leak Causes School Evacuation

Friday morning didn’t start well for Clark County R-1 Schools.  After a city-wide power outage, a gas leak was reported at the CCR-1 High School.  Students were evacuated to the C.A.R.E. Building in Kahoka by bus.

“Apparently when the power went out, the safety valves in the science rooms malfunctioned,” said Supt. Ritchie Kracht.  That allowed gas to fill the building.

Despite open windows and an array of fans, the building still smelled of gas long after the power returned, prompting school officials to dismiss classes.  And since all the bus routes carry students from every Kahoka building, classes at all CCR-1 buildings were cancelled.

Friday night’s football game against Putnam County was will not be affected by the early dismissal.